Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Simple beginnings

I was reading this article from the Pittsburg Post-Gazette about the gigapan robot, which cost about $379, that allows people to use a point and shoot camera to take panoramic photos with such amazing detail. There's also a website from David Bergman who used the gigapan to shoot a photo of President Obama's Inaugural Address.

When you zoom in on the picture, you can see snipers on the roof. Besides being able to see snipers on the roofs, you can zoom in to see the faces of people in the crowd.

Reading that article and seeing the website really amazed me how such a wonderful picture was made with a simple point and shoot camera. It really made me think back to the day I saw the 14th Dalai Lama speak at the University of California Irvine. He talked about many things, but he also said a line that caught my attention. Forgive me if it's not word for word right, but he said, "From such simple beginnings as A B C, people were able to create a language, and from there people created poetry."

It made me think how so many amazing things in life start with such simple beginnings. I think a lot of people today forget that. They are so focus on visions of grandeur, but they forget that many of the wonders of life start from very simple beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment